Keresés

Hirdetés

Új hozzászólás Aktív témák

• CYBERIA

őstag

válasz Hasaggymeg #10250 üzenetére

Kösz szépen!

Kissé szokatlan szerkezet volt számomra.

APU: AMD, MB: AMG :) A peresztrojka nálunk olyan gyors, hogy már ma jobban élünk, mint holnap! | Tudja Mohnke, a nyugati demokráciák dekadensek. Előbb-utóbb alulmaradnak a szigorúan fogott keleti népekkel szemben. | Volvo och SAAB beundrare. | A vér nem válik vízzé.

• Afit

csendes tag

válasz Hasaggymeg #10250 üzenetére

Hasaggymeg,

Ezt te fordítottad angolról magyarra:

"I'd rather listen to and believe stupid rather than opening your mouth appreciation to dispel all doubt."

?

Remélem nem haragszol meg, ha azt mondom, hogy ez borzalmas.

When I hold the mouse over your signature, a little box pops up saying "original version" and:

"Inkább hallgass és higgyenek hülyének,mintsem kinyitva szád eloszlass minden eziránti kételyt."

My objections to your translation are as follows:

"would rather" is a modal idiom which expresses the speaker's preference; therefore, it is usually followed by a comparative construction.

In your translation, after "rather" comes a conjoined infinitive verb phrase, whose covert subject, in keeping with the normal attachment rule, has the same referent as that of the superordinate clause: I. The "hallgass" verb's implied subject is you, however.
    Second, "higgyenek hülyének" is a passive construction, although in your translation the verb appears in active form.
    Third, in the comparative structure, you fail to maintain parallelism (= conjoined elements are in same verb form). Listen and open are parallel forms - no gerund is tolerated in careful writing.
    Fourth, if I may, my tentative attempt at rectifying your mistakes is:
    I would rather [you [remained silent (subjunctive past form) and let people think you are a fool][ than [(you) opened your mouth to remove all doubt].

Try this version:
    It is better [to remain silent and let people think you are a fool] than [to open your mouth and dispel all doubt].

Please note my use of square brackets to highlight the coordinated elements.
    Finally, I hope you take my advice in the spirit in which it was meant.

Best wishes: Afit

"There are no facts, only interpretations." - Nietzsche

Új hozzászólás Aktív témák