Hirdetés

Aktív témák

• DrojDtroll

addikt

iX

iX – A GNU/Linux Distribution for the Apple iPhone, based off Ubuntu Karmic and X11
    August 1, 2010
    Development image release.

Hello again,

I’d like to start by apologising for the delay between my last post and now, but I can assure you we have been very busy getting the development image ready for release. First wifi needed to be set up and it will now connect quite happily to an open, wep secured and wpa secured network via the command line, this allowed an SSH connection to be opened up which proved very useful. There is also now a working touchscreen driver, which has made the development image a reality.

If you are going to download and try the image please bear in mind that it is very rough around the edges and is in no way intended to be a reliable or even usable replacement to iOs or Android, it is more of a proof of concept that will allow other people to play/develop with iX. Because of this, do not expect a lot of support to be given, help will be provided where possible but we will be busy preparing a pre-alpha for iX which should hopefully include some of the features I described in my first post. Inside the archive available below is a small readme on how to set-up/run iX using a tethered boot, the rootfs is on the iPhone itself but the ramdisk and kernel are loaded from your desktop/laptop to allow quick changes until the image is stable.

Finally, I forgot to add this in the readme and no longer have the bandwidth to make a change, you’re automatically logged on as root, the other user is ubuntu, both use the password 1111. These passwords are obviously unsecure to change them simply use passwd root or passwd ubuntu over ssh or from the command line on the iPhone.

James.

Download iXDevImage

The image is pulled for a couple of rectifications.

Posted in iX Development Comments (4)
    July 18, 2010
    First image running Ubuntu

◄ Back
    Next ►
    Picture 1 of 1
    Here’s an image of the iPhone running a lightweight xfce4 desktop on top of Ubuntu, hopefully this will cure some of the skepticism behind iX.

Posted in iX Development Comments (9)
    July 15, 2010
    My first post, introducing iX.

Hello

To start with I’d like to thank Martin from #iphonelinux for not only setting up our wordpress blog but also for sponsoring the domain. The purpose of this blog is to document the progress of building iX prior to it’s release.

iX in it’s current form is merely a basic port of Ubuntu to the armv6 architecture and uses xfce4 as it’s window manager, this is only a starting point to ensure that the hardware available in the iPhoneLinux kernel is used by iX. My long term plans are to create an X11 (or a similar alternative) based OS that can be used as a viable alternative to iOs or Android on the iPhone this will hopefully open up a whole new spectrum of oppurtunites for the device using packages available in Ubuntu’s ports.ubuntu.com repo and other sources that are compatible with ARM (the debian repositories for example).

In order to do this the OS will need to be suitable for the iPhone’s hardware the following will need to be done.

Add a mobile optimised window manager such as Matchbox used on Maemo and OpenMoko.
    Add cellular capabilities, data would be my priority but phone functionality such as calls and sms would be ideal.
    Strip the OS down and optimise for the hardware restrictions such as the lack of ram and cpu speed, this could be as simple as removing unneeded applications or replacing programs with more mobile friendly ones, my first thought is replacing X11 for a leightweight alternative such as tinyx.
    Finally I’d like to explain the reasoning behind the name iX as some have criticised it’s over use of the i prefix.

i = idevice (obviously) and X for X11, which up to now has not been released in an image for the iPhoneKernel.
    Yes, it’s similar to iOs, I hope this doesn’t cause an issue.
    Linux as we all know is an opensource form of Unix, un – iX
    Finally, the moniker iX is short and simple, what I’d like the Os to eventually become.
    A development image with xfce4 will be released as soon as the touch screen issues are resolved , a wiki is in the process of being set up to facilitate documentation.

If you’d like to help, please contact me (James) via #iphonelinux on irc.osx86.hu

Thanks for reading this far.

Posted in iX Development Comments (8)

Aktív témák