Hirdetés

Aktív témák

• DrojDtroll

addikt

Overview

A GNU/Linux Distribution for the Apple iPhone, based off Ubuntu Karmic and X11

iX in it’s current form is merely a basic port of Ubuntu to the armv6 architecture and uses xfce4 as it’s window manager, this is only a starting point to ensure that the hardware available in the iPhoneLinux kernel is used by iX. My long term plans are to create an X11 (or a similar alternative) based OS that can be used as a viable alternative to iOs or Android on the iPhone this will hopefully open up a whole new spectrum of oppurtunites for the device using packages available in Ubuntu’s ports.ubuntu.com repo and other sources that are compatible with ARM (the debian repositories for example).

In order to do this the OS will need to be suitable for the iPhone’s hardware the following will need to be done.

Add a mobile optimised window manager such as Matchbox used on Maemo and OpenMoko.
    Add cellular capabilities, data would be my priority but phone functionality such as calls and sms would be ideal.
    Strip the OS down and optimise for the hardware restrictions such as the lack of ram and cpu speed, this could be as simple as removing unneeded applications or replacing programs with more mobile friendly ones, my first thought is replacing X11 for a leightweight alternative such as tinyx.
    Finally I’d like to explain the reasoning behind the name iX as some have criticised it’s over use of the i prefix.

i = idevice (obviously) and X for X11, which up to now has not been released in an image for the iPhoneKernel.
    Yes, it’s similar to iOs, I hope this doesn’t cause an issue.
    Linux as we all know is an opensource form of Unix, un – iX
    Finally, the moniker iX is short and simple, what I’d like the Os to eventually become.

Homepage: http://blog.ixproject.org/

Aktív témák